Muslim Prisoners Support Project’s (MPSP) main objective is to support Muslim inmates in detention and correctional facilities by providing them with prayer services, Islamic education, equipment/supplies, and resources to ensure that they are given their full rights and are treated in a civil manner.
Current list of facilities supported:
- Arlington County Detention Facility (VA)
- Greensville Correctional Center (VA)
- William G. Truesdale Adult Detention Center (VA)
- Central Detention Facility (DC) & Correctional Treatment Facility (DC)
In order to meet our objective, we must;
- Communicate with the facility to figure out the needs of the facility and
- Communicate with the masajid to find local volunteers and receive support for the project. All facilities and masajid have their own process and goals and therefore we must figure these processes and goals on a masjid/facility case by case.
We are transparent on everything, share all information and encrypt/restrict any sensitive information. Everything is written down and well documented. Organization and process structure is crucial to the project in order to maintain longevity. We have a event calendar, weekly conference call (optional), weekly emails sent out, logs going back to the beginning of the project, etc.
September 2017 – Local Muslims at the Baitul Mukarram Masjid (VA) responded to the call of nearby Arlington County Detention Facility (ACDF) requesting khateebs for Friday Jumuah. We spoke to our local imams and scholars to provide ACDF with trustworthy and knowledgeable individuals. We received funds from local muslims and decided to establish and grow the project.
Ramadan 2018 – We launched our first LaunchGood campaign and advertised our project. We received positive support from the Muslims in our area. Organizations and companies around U.S took notice and offered us discounts and even free supplies that we were able to utilize for the inmates even to now. ICNA CSJ picked up our project in order to combine forces and strengthen our resources. This allowed us to pick up additional facilities to support.
The entire project runs on donations. We need money to keep the program going. Almost all of our volunteers are unpaid, however, some volunteers, such as teachers, khateebs and consolers, are reimbursed for their visit to the facilities. This money is not a source of income to the volunteers, but rather, a way of showing respect toward them. None of the facilities give money to any volunteers. When the project took off, we decided that it was only fair that we reimburse certain volunteers ftor their gas, parking and time so that we did not burden them.
All money is spent on volunteers (teachers, khateebs, consolers, etc.), Islamic materials (Hijabs, books of hadith, prayer rugs, etc.) and expenses of services as needed. Qur’ans have been kindly donated by the Furqaan Project. All money spent and raised is transparent as we keep a detailed record of all transactions. RasoolAllah sallallahu alaihi wasallam (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ““Know that the most beloved deed to Allah is that which is performed regularly even if it is small.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim). We do not need one-time donors who give $50. We need someone who can give $4 a month ($1 a week) or more. Please give whatever you can.
Volunteer with us
Volunteer work and commitment is dependent on the individual ability. A discussion will take place on an individual level between project administrator and volunteer individual to decide on the scope of work, prerequisites, progress measurement, due date, etc.
`Abdullah bin `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, “A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim. So he should not oppress him nor should he hand him over to an oppressor. Whoever fulfills the needs of his brother, Allah will fulfill his needs; whoever removes the troubles of his brother, Allah will remove one of his troubles on the Day of Resurrection; and whoever covers up the fault of a Muslim, Allah will cover up his fault on the Day of Resurrection“. [Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Give Khutbah and lead Jumuah Prayer, teach the basics of Islam as a teacher or be the Muslim consoler of the facility. Female teachers and counselors are welcome and needed (can do female only inmates or mixed groups). Khateebs must be male only.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Must be qualified and experienced as a khateeb/Teacher/Counselor. Must only give khutbah or teach from Qur’an and Sunnah (nothing questionable).
- Must provide a POC from local masajid or organization in order to verify your identity.
- Must dedicate MINIMUM once a month to visit facility.
- Must have own source of transportation.
For more information, please click here.
Coordinate communication between Masajid, facilities, other volunteers or handle equipment/supplies procurement and documentation. We are looking for volunteers who can help us communicate with their local Masajid and facilities in order to expand the project. Help us bring the project to your community. Unpaid.
- Pass out flyers, talk with local masjid/organization community members and invite others to join the project
- Must be extremely passionate about the project and willing to put in the time/effort needed to help.
- Must be technically savvy: Word, Excel, Google Drive, etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills: Proper use of the English language (spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure), strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively and concisely using a variety of styles and techniques.
- Must be willing to work in and be proficient in team environment: Work with others, willing to set deadlines and coordinate with internal team.
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Must have own computer and internet.
For more information, please click here.
Apparel designer, merch designer, poster designer, or website admin. Unpaid.
- Must have prior experience and/or a burning passion to advance your skills while at the same time helping a great cause.
- Must have your own computer and design applications.