Muslim Prisoners Support Project's main objective is to support Muslim inmates in detention and correctional facilities by providing them with prayer services, Islamic education, equipment/supplies, and resources to ensure that they are given their full rights and are treated in a civil manner.
Volunteer with us
Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim. So he should neither oppress him nor hand him over to an oppressor. And whoever fulfilled the needs of his brother, Allah will fulfill his needs." Sahih al-Bukhari
Give Khutbah and lead Jumuah Prayer, teach the basics of Islam as a teacher or be the Muslim consoler of the facility. Female teachers and counselors are welcome and needed (can do female only inmates or mixed groups). Reimbursement $50 each trip.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Must be qualified and experienced as a khateeb, counselor or teacher.
- Must be verifiable through local masajid or organization.
- Must dedicate MINIMUM once a month to visit facility.
- Must have own source of transportation.
Current list of facilities
- Arlington County Detention Facility (VA)
- Greensville Correctional Center (VA)
- William G. Truesdale Adult Detention Center (VA)
- Central Detention Facility (DC) & Correctional Treatment Facility (DC)
Coordinate communication between Masajid, facilities, other volunteers or handle equipment/supplies procurement and documentation. Unpaid.
- Must be extremely passionate about the project and willing to put in the time/effort needed to help.
- Must be technically savvy: Word, Excel, Google Drive, etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills: Proper use of the English language (spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure), strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively and concisely using a variety of styles and techniques.
- Must be willing to work in and be proficient in team environment: Work with others, willing to set deadlines and coordinate with internal team.
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Must have own computer and internet.
Apparel designer, merch designer, poster designer, or website admin. Unpaid.
- Must have prior experience and/or a burning passion to advance your skills while at the same time helping a great cause.
- Must have your own computer and design applications.
Drive equipment/supplies to facilities or provide ride for khateeb. Unpaid.
- Must have your own car.
Pass out flyers, talk with local masjid/organization community members and invite others to join the project. Unpaid.
- Passion to help and willingness to spend time on the project.
Question: How can I bring this project to my local area?
Answer: We are looking for volunteers who can help us communicate with their local Masajid and facilities in order to expand the project. We have a process on how to accomplish this and need passionate leaders.
Question: How much time do I have to commit to in order to help the project?
Answer: Commitment is dependent on the individual ability. A discussion will take place on an individual level between project manager and volunteer individual to decide on the scope of work, prerequisites, progress measurement, due date, etc.
Question: Is the project structured and organized?
Answer: We are transparent on everything, share all information and encrypt/restrict any sensitive information. Everything is written down and well documented. Organization and process structure is crucial to the project in order to maintain longevity. We have an event calendar, weekly conference call (optional), weekly emails sent out, logs going back to the beginning of the project, etc.
All money is spent in volunteers (teachers, khateebs, consolers, etc.), Islamic materials (Hijabs, books of hadith, prayer rugs, etc.) and expenses of services as needed. All money spent and raised is transparent as we keep a detailed record of all transactions. RasoolAllah sallallahu alaihi wasallam (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ““Know that the most beloved deed to Allah is that which is performed regularly even if it is small.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim). We do not need one-time donors who give $50. We need someone who can give $4 a month ($1 a week) or more. Please give whatever you can.